Saturday, July 4, 2009

Season Over?

So yesterday, Bethany and I went up to the Twin Cities for our friend Kat's 21st b-day. Kat, TPow, Doug, Beth and I were there. It was fun, we went to Sayja, a Japanese restaurant where they cook right in front of you. It was really sweet, the cook was very funny and made great food. From there, we just hung out at Kat's house and watched a couple movies. This morning( Sat) we went out onto Lake Minnetonka in Kat's boat and did some water skiiing and tubing. I left at around 11:30 for Northfield, for my first race in 30 days.

Got to Northfield, got everything going and legs felt pretty good. Took a little bit to get back into the groove of things, but it was fun. All9 guys had a few racers. So towards the end of the race, I moved up and got ready for a field sprint. Nothing was going to get away in this race. Sprinted to about 12th or so? Not to bad, but didn't get as far up in the pack as I needed.

Anyway, right after the race, I was climbing the short hill on course and all ofa sudden my pedals stop and it sounds as though my chain fell off. I got off and notice my derailleur had snapped in half. It got caught in my wheel afterwards and bent my derailleur hanger. On my bike, the hanger is an integrated aluminum forge, and thus can't be fixed.

My frame is toast, and so I don't have a bike to race. I am going to talk to Hall's and here in Decorah to see if Trek has anything I can do. If not, I don't know what to do, I don't have the money being a college student to just get another frame.

I feel as though part of my life was just ripped away from me. I don't know what to do with myself now. This was my best season so far and I was getting ready for State Road Race and Tour of Kansas City. I am just at a loss for words as I drove home. I guess I can just get started with swim season and just swim the rest of the summer.

Have to miss my team's first race in CR tomorrow.

1 comment:

A. Turner said...

Just as I upgrade to race with ya...and you're not there?

Big bummer man.

I'm sure you'll find a way to get outta this debaucle. Best of luck.