Monday, August 10, 2009

Tour of Kansas City

Bethany and I drove down to KC on Thursday for a 4 day weekend. We got down in the evening, dropped off our stuff at her Brother Phils' apartment and headed to dinner. We ate at a "Carlos O'Kelly's" style restaurant called Jose Peppers. Very good, we both had Chimichangas and all the chips and salsa you could want. I was stuffed. Then we just went back, waited for Phil and then went to bed.

Friday we got up and had breakfast and headed to the pool that Phil's apartment complex has for residents. A nice pool, no one around and was able to soak up some sun. Then Bethany and I went to a huge mall complex where all the stores have outside access, kind of like a downtown but all mall stores. Walked around for a couple hours and got Starbucks at Barnes and Nobel. We then went back to the hotel and made BBQ Chicken pizza! Watched movies and went to bed.

Saturday we got up and Phil drove us downtown KC to see where he works at the Mercy Childrens Hospital. We also saw much of the downtown. Very confusing streets and many different interstate interchanges made this a town I don't think I would wanna live in. We headed out east of town and saw the two stadiums where the Royals and Chiefs play. Got stuff together back at the apartment and headed to the race in Kansas City, KS. A two hill criterium that was fast and very windy. All9 Yards had 4 guys, only 4 I recognized and knew. Fast race, single file for much of the race. Felt ok, legs didn't open up like I thought but I ended up top 20 out of 60 or so. After the race, we went to Dave and Busters for dinner. This place is like a Chuckie Cheese for adults, it was a lot of fun.

Sunday, we got up, had breakfast and headed to the race in Overland Park. A flat course with a couple false flats. Very fast race and despite many many crashes, a fun time. I was gapped on the last lap after a crash but still managed 11th. I know I could have gotten higher but because I was gapped, no dice. Got my money back plus some from that race. Phil, Bethany and I then went to "The Other Place", a restaurant started in Cedar Falls, but have two locations down in KC. Very good pizza!! Beth and I then headed home and had some fun times. We hit bad storms while in Des Moines on I35 and I80, going 30mph on the interstate with blinding rain. Made it home around 10PM last night.

Overall a great weekend!! My first time driving in MO and KS, and down there except for St. Louis airport. The racing is pretty good down there, but many sketchy riders. I was so surprised at the number of crashes and wobbliness of the peloton. Also, many teams were represented but no team would keep the pace high. Seems like there are many "single" riders on teams out there.

Don't know if I will be racing the rest of the season, have to work quite a bit.

No comments: